“Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better.” – Albert Einstein
In Episode #110, Jesse is joined by Dr. Jim Adams from the USC School of Pharmacy for a far-ranging discussion about traditional plant medicines. Countless cultures worldwide have surviving folk wisdom, botanical cures and remedies which may offer life-changing value even in the pharmaceutical age. Dr. Adams balances scientific credentials with his spiritual insights as a Chumash Healer as he explains some of what nature has to offer for health and cognition.
In our regular segments, find out the ugly truth about the Illusory Truth Effect — and also how it is next to impossible to catch a dolphin off-guard.
- 0:34 Getting back to nature.
- 1:24 This Week In Neuroscience: ReaLIES!
- 3:40 The audience interaction section.
- 5:26 Jesse introduces Dr. Jim Adams.
- 6:12 Pharmacology and medical traditions.
- 8:25 Treating stroke.
- 10:53 FDA and plant medicines.
- 12:18 Plant medicines in China.
- 14:04 Attitude adopted by big pharmaceuticals in the west.
- 15:43 Bureaucratic roadblocks.
- 16:29 Medical efficacy of tobacco.
- 18:47 Chia seeds and how to use them.
- 19:45 Functional foods and cactus.
- 21:07 Adaptogens.
- 22:15 White Sage.
- 23:21 Peyote and sacred dreams.
- 25:01 Geographical considerations.
- 27:10 Dangers of synthetic drugs.
- 28:08 Pre-pharmaceutical era traditional healing.
- 30:57 Dr. Adams’ book and other resources.
- 32:40 Dr. Adams’ dietary choices.
- 34:13 Concluding thoughts.
- 37:15 Ruthless Listener Retention Gimmick: Vigilant brain.